RE: Tranny60 TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tranny60 TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:05:12 -0800
> Here we go again. I managed to get the speedometer gears/housing out. I did
> some damage to the threads, but I have a spare. Looking in not one, but
> several  manuals and the factory service manual, at this point the
> rear extension
> should  just pull off. It twists a 1/2 to 3/4" of an inch,

Was this transmission locked up before you started ?  The tail housing should
turn on the rear bearing at this point.

> but it is
> not pulling
> off. I  have removed the rear castelgated nut and cotter pin. It is not
> separating from  the main gearbox.

It does take some encouragement, as you're forcing the rear bearing off the
shaft.  Remove the output flange first (it should tap off with a brass hammer)
then check to be sure the shaft is clean where it protrudes from the rear
bearing.  Some people have made up a puller for the tail housing, but I've
always been able to tap it off.

Randall