Re: Plates

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Plates
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:40:32 -0000
As Graham Stretch explained, here in the UK the car retains its original
number for life.
There are those who "feel the need to make a statement about themselves" by
having personalised plates - but these cost a fortune and leave the car wide
open to being vandalised. I'm informed the argument vandals use is that if
you can afford a personal plate, you can afford a repaint.
I'm therefore delighted to have OUR 611 H on the PI and HBH 989 N on the
2000. There aren't many cars with either of these year letter combos around
now. Additionally, the PI's number format of silver letters on a black
background are illegal for modern cars, because modern plates have to be
reflective. I derive great delight in telling young PIA policemen that my
registration plate is perfectly legal and that they'd better toddle off to
the police station and do their homework before giving me a ticket.

Jonmac