Mystery starter

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mystery starter
From: ktriumph@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:46:59 +0000
Hello List

Longtime lurker here with a Lucas ID question. I have a starter which I
apparently picked up some time ago thinking it was an early TR3 "bull nose"
type. Closer inspection and comparison with known examples however reveals that
it is not for a TR3. I would like to know if anyone on the list can tell me
what this is.

It is about 2" longer than a TR3 starter, the pinion and teeth are smaller, and
the "throw" of the pinion is longer. It is stamped :
(upside down Mercedes symbol) 2609D    1 58
                   M45G  G    49-2  12V

A friend of mine (pretty knowledgeable) told me he thought it was to an early
Jaguar, XK120 or such.
A web search turned up Morgan, Land Rover, Daimler and Jaguar but some of these
seemed suspect. It seems there were a number of variations of the M45G starter.
I have no use for this animal, and would like to perhaps find a good home for
it.
TIA and back in lurk mode....

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A