TR4A IRS Shafts

Subject: TR4A IRS Shafts
From: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:21:22 -0600
I had a good day yesterday separating the two halves of the left outer
assembly. (This is the shaft with the sliding splines and two u-joints
that goes from the diff to the wheel).

After I backed off the collar that keeps the two halves connected, there
was a metal and a cork ring around the shaft.  As you could imagine, the
cork ring just disintegrated.  Dutifully, I went looking through all my
catalogs for a replacement, and found none.  In fact, the catalogs of
the big three do not even mention this cork ring.

So here's my question for all you good folks; what in the world is the
cork ring for, and do I even need to replace it?  If so, from where can
I get one?

As far as an update is concerned, I've gotten the chassis complete (weld
repairs, suspension strengthening kit, diff bridge kit, cleaned,
painted, etc).
However, I still haven't placed any agent INSIDE the chassis to keep it
from rusting within.  I'm considering using a product called "Corrosion
X" because I have some contacts there, but any other suggestions would
be welcome.

Now that the chassis is ready, I am tackling the reconditioning of all
the undercarriage components; restoring them and putting them back onto
the chassis.  So far I've completed the differential (needed some
serious cleaning and a pinion oil seal), and just started on the left
rear trailing arm (including brake and shaft to diff).

Hope to have the photos up on the web site soon.  Pictures of the
chassis are already posted.

Peace be with you!

Guy D. Huggins

1965 Triumph TR4A