RE: Rack and Pinion Conversion Kits

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rack and Pinion Conversion Kits
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:15:16 -0800
> Are there any downsides to
> the conversion other than not maintaining originality?  This car will be a
> "driver".

Opinions vary, of course ... to my mind the biggest downside is losing the
functionality of the original turn signal switch.  Plus of course the
needless expense ... IMO a rebuilt original steering box (filled with
quality synthetic gear oil) works just fine.  I drove TS39781LO to work
almost every day for many, many years; the difference after I rebuilt the
steering box was just phenomenal.  Cheap, too, since I didn't replace the
rather worn original worm.

Oh yeah, the R&P will also be 'slower', I kind of like being able to change
lanes with a flick of the wrist.  Don't even take my arm off the door edge.

Randall