RE: Was lead...now brazing

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Was lead...now brazing
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:39:38 -0800
> I believe brazing is done with common acetylene
> equipment.

Right, although it's also possible to use a carbon arc according to my books.

> I think the material used for brazing melts at a different temp than the
steel,

Right again.  Brazing is basically a form of high-temperature solder, it works
well below the melting point of the steel, so there's less distortion.  It's
also a lot stronger than lead/tin solder (although still not as strong as steel)
and hence very suitable for things like repairing fenders.  Also works well for
joining dissimilar metals (like steel to cast iron).

Randall