Re: Stuck Hood On TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuck Hood On TR6
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:43:22 EST
Peter is right. You'd be much better off taking this route and not prying on
the hood!

Before doing so, try the following:
1. Have someone press down on the hood, right above the latch, while you pull
hard on the cable handle. (Be sure they press close to the edge and don't
dent the hood!)
2. Remove the cable handle assembly from it's bracket and try again in case
the cable is binding.

If you do pull out the glove box and work through that grommet, be aware that
the screwdriver will be very close to the battery terminal and watch out you
don't short it out!

Another method is to put the car up on a lift and work from below to push the
lever. A wooden broomstick handle is an ideal tool for this, since with this
method you have several electrical terminals in close proximity.

It's also sometime possible to remove the bolts from the hood hinges, with
the car up on a lift.

(BTW, I haven't gotten around to installing a backup cable on my car yet,
either.)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm
Prying on the hood!?  NO!

Behind the glove box is a grommet into the engine compartment that is
just below the latch.  Get a long, big screwdriver and fish around
upward until you find the moveable arm on the latch.  Then leverage
against the side of the grommet opening and work the latch.  POP goes
the hood.
Glad you're getting the emergency cable.