Early TR6 vacuum / throttle linkage

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Early TR6 vacuum / throttle linkage
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:14:30 -0500
I can't claim to have researched this question, but I figured I'd toss it
out to the list just in case someone could answer the question off the top
of their head.

(and didn't mind typing the answer)

Early TR6's   (and probably 250's)  had both a vacuum advance and a vacuum
retard on the distributor.

They also had some sort of little valve on the throttle linkage that either
switched or closed off one of the vacuum hoses when the throttle was in a
certain position.

(maybe fully closed . . foot off the pedal)

Anyone care to share how all that sort of stuff was supposed to work and
what the effects are of not having it working correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Tilton

1970 TR6 limping around Northern VA