LBC of a different sort, not a wheel in sight

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: LBC of a different sort, not a wheel in sight
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:50:18 -0500
Oh how the times have changed. Cleaning through my mountains of old stuff, I
came across my Cub Scout handbook from 35 years ago. Having been born in Canada
just after my parents emigrated from Britain made me a Little British Canadian
(obligatory LBC content acheived), so at the appropritate time off to Cubs and
then Scouts I went.

I was thumbing through the guide and came across requirement #8 for the tawny
badge. It caught my attention because I like tawny things. Typically Warres
20-year-old tawny things, but I digress... I see that requirement #8 is to
create an original written work. The book gives as an example the following
limerick:

There was a young lad from the city
Who met what he thought was a kitty
He gave it a pat
And said, "Nice little cat"
They buried his clothes, out of pity.

Recall this is for 7-year old kids. In today's desperate desire for perfect
security, It doesn't seem likely that this limerick is still being proposed to
children. Or perhaps it would be approved of as creating an appropriate
atmosphere of fear.

Can anybody tell me if the cub scouts still squat down and bob around in
circles chanting weird ditties to "Akeyla"? I was thinking that for sure kids
today are far too cool to fall for all the goose-stepping we used to do, but
then I watch the news and start to wonder...

Mark