Door Gaps

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Door Gaps
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:46:40 -0500
Hi everyone,  I have a question concerning door fit.  Let me preface
this by saying before I started a bunch of restoration work this winter
my door gaps were pretty good.  Possibly slightly wider( less than an
eighth inch) at the top than the bottom which according to Roger
Williams is probably caused by some sagging of the rear portion of the
frame. The frame is solid, no rust and no signs of hogging or prior
repair.  Do to an an unfortunate accident, where the car decided to
leave the driveway without me being in it,  the drivers door needed to
be replaced(it rolled out with the door open, caught a bush and snapped
the door back against the front fender, I was sick for weeks).  So,I
figured since it was going to the body shop, I would remove the engine
and transmission, rebuild the engine and have the engine bay painted.
The rest of the car was painted last year. I was with the body man
yesterday while hanging the new door and noticed the the door gaps had
opened quite a bit(both sides).  I measured the new door, which was
quite close to the old(the door came from the same year model).  Now I
assume the door widening is caused by the frame being unladen.  I guess
there's not much I can do about it until I get everything back on the
frame,  but was wondering what can be done to close the door gap if
needed after.  Can the body be shimmed to make up for any sag of the
frame and where would I begin shimming.  Can any sagging of a frame be
addressed on a frame machine.   I just don't want to cover up any frame
mounting points during reassembly until I'm sure I dont have to address
this problem.  Thanks for any advice.   John Mitchell  76 TR6