Re: Door Gaps

To: jmitch@snet.net
Subject: Re: Door Gaps
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:49:14 EST
In a message dated 3/16/2005 6:48:00 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
jmitch@snet.net writes:

but was  wondering what can be done to close the door gap if
needed after.

Certainly shimming or frame straightening would be the best fix for this,
but Classic Motorsports magazine showed an alternative a couple of months  ago.

On the MG Midget project they are serializing, the door gaps were off  by a
half inch or more.  They welded a steel strip to the edge of the door  and
ground it down until the gap appeared perfect.

I'm not sure I approve of this method, but it obviously is an option.

Also, as evidenced on my TR4, the door is sometimes out of adjustment, and
perhaps the hinges need to be shimmed or bent back into alignment.  In my  old
shade tree days, we would put a jack under the corner of the door and jack  it
back into alignment.  Sometimes a 2 x 4 near the hinge and shutting the  door
on it would realign the hinges.

Make sure you, or your passengers do not use the open door as a bench or
otherwise manhandle them, as this will make the doors sag in the opening.

RBH

Robert B.  Houston
Texan in New Mexico

63 TR4
73 MG Midget
94 F150
03  Beetle

To model our political system upon speculations of  lasting tranquility, is
to calculate on the weaker springs of the human  character.
---Alexander  Hamilton