TR3A Gas Mileage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Gas Mileage
From: bbrewer@qnet.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:33:42 -0800
     I read several articles in TR books about what great mileage the TR2/3's
got while racing at LeMans and other races. I think that they were averaging
something like 30 mpg. If they were imperial gallons, then it would probably be
more like 27 or 28 mpg in US gallons.
     I just rebuilt my TR3 engine with 87 mm pistons & pretty mild cam (but not
the stock one). The carbs are rebuilt & tuned correctly and the timing appears
dead on. Anyone who has driven my car says that it is one of the nicest driving
TR's that they have been in. My gas mileage is consistently around 22 mpg. I
drive enthusiastically, but not really hard. I use the car on my daily commute
which is 19 miles each way with 3 stop signs and several hills. It seems like I
would be getting more mpg. I was expecting to average 28 mpg or so. My gas
mileage is essentially unchanged from before I rebuilt the engine.
     What kind of mileage do other tractor motored TR drivers get?

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA