Re: TR3A Gas Mileage

To: bbrewer@qnet.com
Subject: Re: TR3A Gas Mileage
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:03:58 -0500
On Wednesday 16 March 2005 03:33 pm, bbrewer@qnet.com wrote:
>      I read several articles in TR books about what great mileage the
> TR2/3's got while racing at LeMans and other races. I think that they were
> averaging something like 30 mpg. If they were imperial gallons, then it
> would probably be more like 27 or 28 mpg in US gallons.
>      I just rebuilt my TR3 engine with 87 mm pistons & pretty mild cam (but
> not the stock one). The carbs are rebuilt & tuned correctly and the timing
> appears dead on. Anyone who has driven my car says that it is one of the
> nicest driving TR's that they have been in. My gas mileage is consistently
> around 22 mpg. I drive enthusiastically, but not really hard. I use the car
> on my daily commute which is 19 miles each way with 3 stop signs and
> several hills. It seems like I would be getting more mpg. I was expecting
> to average 28 mpg or so. My gas mileage is essentially unchanged from
> before I rebuilt the engine. What kind of mileage do other tractor motored
> TR drivers get?
>
>      Bill Brewer
>      Tehachapi, CA

Bill,

Back in the early 80's I drove my 3A from Deerfield NY to Ashland NH and back.
This was back in the 55MPH days and leaded high test gas. I averaged about 33
MPG. I also have Hepolite 87MM and the engine runs just fine with no OD and
tires with about 5k miles on at the time. With todays gas I am getting about
25 - 28 but that is just around town etc, no extensive speed above 60. I am a
very mild driver.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4