Rear hub and wheel questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear hub and wheel questions
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:34:35 -0500
I have rear hub wobble. The bearings were replaced by a reputable shop only
2-3K miles ago. There is clear wobble on the rear wheel. I've just pulled the
rear hub assembly off the car and I see that it is fairly loose (1/16" play
estimate). So question #1 is whether I should just be tightening the big
dual-nuts that are at the back of the assembly, or dealing with the reality
that the set-up just didn't last and buying an exchange hub from one of the big
three. Question #1, section B. Do you have to ship the old hub first, or can
you keep the car on the road until the new one arrives and then get a credit
when you ship the core unit back?

Can't really do much drive testing since the car is up on blocks, although I
can fire the engine and turn the rear hubs. The rear blocks are placed to keep
the suspension in the normal position. I don't want to wait for another month
and then order (if required) since I will then lose a month of the already too
short season.

Question #2, with all the fancy alloy wheels being made, and the fact that
every part on the car seems to be going back into production, why oh why
doesn't somebody just make new steel discs? I'm going to get my original wheels
re-straightened, blasted and powder-coated. More expensive than buying alloys
it seems, but I prefer the original look on the car.

Mark