Re: Jaguar Mark II

To: adrianjones747@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jaguar Mark II
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:27:57 EST
In a message dated 3/22/2005 6:13:12 PM Central Standard Time,
adrianjones747@earthlink.net writes:
> was looking at one that is for sale but was wondering about parts
> availability and the like.
> We Triumph and MG owners are pretty lucky when it comes to replacement
> parts, manuals and of course this invaluable forum.  I can't seem to find a
>source
> for parts, manuals or forums.  The Yahoo forum has had 11 posts this year
> (Ha!).

These cars are quite popular and as a concequence they are rather pricy.
They also have a lot in common with the same vintage XK series.  These two
facts
make parts readily avalable and rather expensive.  I helped a friend rebuild
one some years ago and he commented that everything was $100.

Apart from the work-of-art engine these cars are mechanically basic with
typical live rear axle and twin A-arm front suspension.  And since the engine
is
pretty much the same from introduction in 1948 until it was replaced sometime
in the 70's there are a lot of parts and machine shops quite familiar with it.

Coachwork is somewhat rust-prone since the wings are double-walled and trap
dirt and moisture quite effectively.

As a project, I think the major down side is the price.  The cars command a
heafty price and the parts are not cheap.  But I love 'em.  I think they are
the best looking car Jaguar ever produced.  And that is saying a lot.  It's
understated elegance and flowing lines speak to me in a language I fine hard to
resist.

But after working on MG's and Triumph you will find these cars reassuringly
familiar.

Good luck and save your pennies.

Dave