Re: layshaft bearings

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Subject: Re: layshaft bearings
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:39:29 -0500
 >Hi Tony
>One solution I have seen to the problem of the first gear end of the laygear
>spalling is to fit two needle bearings at that end. it involves deepening
>the bearing bore by sufficient depth to allow the pair of bearings to fit
>but I gather it works really well. half the load twice the life?

I have heard of this modification, but I have not had anyone who has
personally done it report to me.

As I said before, unless the car is a dialy driver it will take a REALLY LONG
time to reach the expected end of the life of a normal layshaft, so it would
be hard to compare the improved unit.

-Tony