Re: layshaft bearings

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: layshaft bearings
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:48:45 +0100
Hi Greg
I don't think a bearing in the middle would help much, it is the first gear
end of the shaft which takes the lions share of the sideways forces due to
the torque reaction of first and second gear acceleration. Also the bearings
are a bit small but then I have only found wear and noise on boxes with in
excess of 50k miles, with the exception of 1 and that is in my 2.5PI and
that was fitted with a hot cam and 2nd overdrive, which had the effect of
encouraging extended use of 2nd gear at full throttle during acceleration,
and therefore I consider that 30k miles is not so bad!
I am also inclined to conclude that the normally driven boxes had been
somewhat neglected in the oil change department during their just another
old car stage of life!

Graham.