Re: Sudden Water Loss

To: "Richard Alexander" <RALEXANDER@smail.umaryland.edu>,
Subject: Re: Sudden Water Loss
From: "phil ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:07:14 -0600
From: "Richard Alexander" <RALEXANDER@smail.umaryland.edu>
> My 58 TR3A has similar behavior. When the radiator is full to the bottom
> of the fill cap

-it's overfilled.

> I figure the car knows how much coolant it wants.

True enough, but you can skip the blowing-fluid stage of the process.  I
have a long-neck radiator in the TR4.  I find that if the cold level is just
enough to wet the bottom of the long neck under the cap, I never have any
trouble.  Surely the level is rising inside the neck when the car is hot,
but it does not blow any out the overflow.

1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net http://www.mnautox.com/ http://www.lotusowners.com
"TOOLS? Hell, any fool can work with tools. It takes a real mechanic to
work with this junk." -Orv Ethier, 1921-2004. First Shot Naval Vets, Pearl
Harbor Survivor.