RE: Sudden Water Loss

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sudden Water Loss
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:41:04 -0800
> When the radiator is full to the bottom
> of the fill cap and I drive the car it blows coolant out of the overflow
> tube until is a couple quarts down.

That's actually normal behavior ... the radiator should not be filled to the
bottom of the fill cap on a stock TR3 cooling system.  Where the owner's manual
talks about "the neck of the filler" being half-full, I believe they are
referring to the rectangular top tank extension that the fill cap fitting is
mounted to.  In any case, water expands when it gets hot, and there has to be
space for it to expand into.  All modern cars have external expansion tanks, but
the TR2-3 essentially have it integral with the top of the radiator.

Randall