short in ignition

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6Pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: short in ignition
From: "sherman" <cm.sherman@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:47:31 -0500
I wanted to finish my 1971 TR6, but encountered a new problem with the
electrical system  the top wire on the fuse box gets extremely hot!

I investigated a bit, pulling the ignition switch cover, only to find the
last of the five (5) wires was not connected  and melted the plastic
sleeve.

What confuses me is that the round metal plug is a 6 spade connector switch
(with 5 positions)  obviously not the early switch (68-72) which had 4
spades. I looked at your book and Moss Motors to compare switches, but
couldnt find it  mine looks like #30, but has 6 spades. The wiring harness
connects directly into the ignition switch (no plastic plug, #52); the other
wires that were connected to the spades in positions 1,2, and 3. The loose
wire successfully started the car when connected to either position 4 or 5,
but the fuse box gets dangerously hot.

I cant figure out what goes where?
Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated

Corey
cm.sherman@verizon.net