Re: short in ignition

To: cm.sherman@verizon.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: short in ignition
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:18:00 EST
In a message dated 3/30/2005 11:02:29 AM Central Standard Time,
cm.sherman@verizon.net writes:
> I investigated a bit, pulling the ignition switch cover, only to find the
> last of the five (5) wires was not connected  and melted the plastic
> sleeve.
>
> What confuses me is that the round metal plug is a 6 spade connector switch
> (with 5 positions)  obviously not the early switch (68-72) which had 4
> spades. I looked at your book and Moss Motors to compare switches, but
> couldnt find it  mine looks like #30, but has 6 spades. The wiring harness
> connects directly into the ignition switch (no plastic plug, #52); the other
> wires that were connected to the spades in positions 1,2, and 3. The loose
> wire successfully started the car when connected to either position 4 or 5,
> but the fuse box gets dangerously hot.
>
> I cant figure out what goes where?
> Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated

Sounds like yo don't have a Triumph ignition switch.  Perhaps one from an MG
or Jaguar.  That being the case there is no substitute for taking readings
with an ohmmeter and figure out what is connected to what in each position.

Or get the right switch.

Dave