Splitting brake calipers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Splitting brake calipers
From: Jim Wallace <jim.wallace@netscape.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:58:13 -0500
I split mine without fear, reasoning that since they started life as two
halves, it must be possible to reassemble them successfully.
Am I ever glad I did. The O-rings had turned to muck; if I had tried to use
them without replacing the O-rings the brakes would certainly have failed.
Getting the pistons out: I don't think this technique has been mentioned
this time round - once the calipers are split, drill a hole in the middle
of the piston and tap it. Then thread in a bolt which will press against
the inside of the caliper and draw the piston right out. It works
beautifully. At one point I did a fair number when I had a Volvo
collection; they had four pistons per caliper and usually about four of
them would be seized.....also Girling.
Re: being sued, does it help that I don't live in the US? Yes it's true,
the internet goes beyond those borders. Maybe I only have a problem if US
citizens read my post? How does that work?
No wait!!! I'm not serious; I don't really want an answer!!!
Jim