TR4 Front Suspension

To: Triumph Email List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Front Suspension
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 19:51:01 -0400
Just finished taking the front suspension off the TR4 project. A thanks to Don
Malling for supplying the tie rod buster!

Does anyone on the list have a good method to remove the old steel bushings
from the inner wishbone mounts? I have tried heat from a propane torch and
vice grips but no movement. Should I just leave them on?

Would oxy-aceteleyne (SP) work?

The final tally of broken bolts etc from the removal of every nut and bolt
from the body and frame is:

1 broken stud in cyl head. Front exhaust. Stud successfully removed!

Both front shock top nuts came off but broke the stud connected to the shock.
No real suprise there. I had to grab the shock top with channel locks, in
order to get the nut to turn, but both broke. Shocks seemed to be ok but now
are toast. Will be replacing with Konis or Spax.

That is it! Even the little screws that hold on the rear drums came out! THat
was a big suprise!

Next step is to blast and paint the frame. Then I can start putting back some
of the stuff I have been taking off for the past 2 months! I am running out
of space in my cellar!

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4