Re: TR3A Caliper brake rebuild

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Caliper brake rebuild
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:00:24 -0700
AMfoto1@aol.com wrote:

>A little "brake assembly" grease or oil can make that job easier...
>
>Someone suggested using a little low-pressure compressed air blown in through
>the bleeder or line connection hole, to get the boot to pop into place over
>the piston. I had some success with that, but had to restort to a dull hooked
>tool on a couple, to tease them into place carefully without damaging them.

I found the air pressure mthod made it much easier... had my wife run
the air while I finagled the boot.  I also made a little tool out of 12
ga solid copper wire, hooked a bit and rounded on the end.  First one
took a few minutes but by the time I got to number 4 we had it down to a
2 second blast of air and it would pop on.

Brake assembly stuff was a big help too.  You'll need to insert the
opposite piston to get this to work (for the first one just insert it
w/o the boot) but be sure to secure it with a block between the 2
pistons -- even at low pressure that thing could bite you.

Geo Hahn