RE: Making Metal Brake Lines

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Making Metal Brake Lines
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 17:07:18 -0700
> 1. Will a standard flaring tool be sufficient to make
> the bubble flares?

Depends on the line you buy, IMO.  I had a devil of a time forming a bubble
flare in the line from my local auto parts house.  Supposedly coiled steel
(Bundy) line is softer, but I haven't tried it.  "Cunifer" is very soft and
should flare easily.

> 2. Where can I buy the flare nuts?

JC Whatnot used to sell them, so does my local parts house.  Be sure you get the
long ones with the unthreaded area near the tip, which are sometimes known as
"British" nuts.  Standard American nuts will bottom in the threads and not seal
properly.

Good article at
http://web.dimebank.com/BrakePlumbing.html
too.  Written from a different point of view (racing) but lots of good info.

Randall