RE:distib,lube& valve tapping

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:distib,lube& valve tapping
From: "Edward Anderson" <eandy01@tcnmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 20:26:40 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, some good topics today.FWIW I'll input some experience w/my old
Healeys. On these things there is no diff., in fact much of what is avail
today didn't exist then. + & - each way. Not being elec oriented I had the
sense to take my machine to the Jag mechanic who moonlighted my tranny
rebuild( what a job and another area I leave to the real pros). He of
course set it up on their Sun mach and the timing was soon done. This was
only done 2-3 mon. I reset the valves weekly. I prefer to adj them just
slightly loose (better to know they are closing fully than not) I love the
music they make along with a strong exh. note. But no matter how perfectly
the timing may seem about town & legal speeds,(mind this was early 70's
when I had the road all alone at 3-5 am) about the 100- pegged mph there
would be a slight miss. This was I think impossible to set any finer at
rest and could only show up under load. I see that my tr3a proj. has the
same micro adjust knurled nut on the distrib the Healey's had and for the
reason of fine tuning. The prob is doing it at 100. This is another test
of how 'would it do' to attach the square end of a speedo cable to that
nut and mount the cable w/ knob to turn at the dash to adj while in
motion.
 Lubes: Syns didn't exist. 90 in the diff, never a prob. Carstro GTX
according to season w/1 Marvel Mystery Oil. Carb, 3in1 before Jag mech,
suggested and never had sticking. Coolant: no no no to tap water
distilled only whatever mix. With so many touting the Redline oil it's
now on my to use list. Thanks
Ed Anderson
58 3a
 For the Ireland bound. In '89 my wife & I took her father (Dublin born)
on a trip home. The National Trust in Ire. had gotten well into a castle
restoration proj. taking the ruins to as new cond. using original methods
and materials. If I saw nothing else or ever go back that tour alone is
priceless. There were many castles to be done and are likely mostly
finished now. My favs were on the west coast so of Donegal Town to Galway
The Scots where we lived and the English don't restore theirs. Wherever
you go watch out for the Guiness, fresher or not, it'll do your radiator
and hoses little good.