RE: distib,lube& valve tapping

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: distib,lube& valve tapping
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:31:59 -0700
> But no matter how perfectly
> the timing may seem about town & legal speeds,(mind this was early 70's
> when I had the road all alone at 3-5 am) about the 100- pegged mph there
> would be a slight miss.

Almost certainly not a timing issue !  Might well have been some other
shortcoming in the ignition system, but slightly advanced timing will only make
the engine knock (under some circumstances) reducing power, while slow timing
only produces slightly less than maximum power.

> The prob is doing it at 100.

It not a whole lot easier at 20 mph or so, where the book says to set it.  In
either case, you make a trial run, adjust the timing the indicated direction,
then make another trial run.

> This is another test
> of how 'would it do' to attach the square end of a speedo cable to that
> nut and mount the cable w/ knob to turn at the dash to adj while in
> motion.

Probably easier would be to leave the clamp bolt loose, and rig a lever to turn
the dizzy directly.  Kind of like the arrangement used on the Ford Model T ...

Randall