RE: Alternator ARG!!

To: "Mark" <mini@nashvilletn.org>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternator ARG!!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:27:18 -0700
> Do those screws that go into the block go all the
> way through?

Yes indeed, and can be a whale of a leak if one falls out.

> They must as I discovered another oil leak, looks like some
> thread sealer is needed.

Safety wire isn't a bad idea either, or at least new lockwashers.

>  Then I was looking at the top adjustable mount and
> the stock one needs more curve.  A quick trip to the parts store turned up
> only a chrome GM thing that is way too big.  I could chop it up probably but
> what have others been using?

I used the original mount, but flattened the curve near where it bolts to the WP
housing, so it passed behind the alternator ear rather than in front of it.  The
curved hole doesn't match the alternator's diameter, but it works if I loosen
the bolt at the WP housing when adjusting the belt.

>  I found that I also need to grind about a
> quarter inch off the back side of the alternator casting, have others had to
> do this or is my alt. just a little different.

I did, but my alternator is definitely different, being an old Ford externally
regulated model.

>  Lastly, why is it the little
> projects that get you?

Not a particularly small project, IMO.  And still a lot easier than changing
almost anything on a Stag !

Randall