TR6 Valve spring compressing method?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Valve spring compressing method?
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:31:17 -0600
BlankList,

Anyone have a trick (or method) to compress valve springs while the head is
still attached to the engine?  I want to put some valve seals on the valve
guides to see if I can reduce the smoke on deceleration and startup but I was
trying to avoid pulling the head to do it.  I've got a hose to hook to my
compressor and the spark plug hole to keep the valves from dropping while I
pull the springs off but it doesn't look like I can use the valve spring
compressor I have to compress the springs with the head still attached.  It
was designed for use with the head completely off the engine.  Any suggestions
on how to get the valve springs off AND get them back on without putting an
eye out?

Also what's the worst that could happen if I put valve seals on valve guides
that don't have a groove on the end to "click" the seal onto the valve guide.
The seals have a wire spring that I think is intended to fit into a groove on
the end of a valve guide but my TR6 valve guides don't have that groove.  I
was playing around with the parts and the valve seal seems to grip the valve
guide pretty tightly even with running a valve stem up and down thought the
guide and seal.  But I'd guess that what happens after a billion or so
iterations of up and down in actual operation of the engine might pull the
seal off the valve guide.  Wouldn't it just flop up and down on the valve stem
and be useless if it worked its way off the end of the valve guide?  Must be a
worse case I haven't thought of.

Advice and thoughts most appreciated on this rainy day in Denver.

Thanks
Bud

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)