RE: Stupid Distributor Question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stupid Distributor Question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:56:31 -0700
> How often should you do a major overhaul on your distributor?  On my 6
> I've done the usual a few years back of points, cap, rotor, condensor.
> A year after that, I switched it over to the Ignitor system.  However,
> when should you change those little springs out?  Anything else in there
> that needs looking after or replacement?

Disconnect the vacuum advance/retard, hook up a good timing light, and watch
what the timing mark does under the light as you slowly rev the engine up
and back down.  The mark should move smoothly and gradually from the static
advance up to maximum advance and back down.  Your shop manual should have
the numbers (Don't have mine handy.)  If the spark jumps around at constant
rpm (any of them), then the main bushing is likely worn and should be
replaced.  If the advance mechanism doesn't work smoothly, it likely needs
attention.

>  Where do you get those parts?
> TRF sure doesn't seem to have them.  Don't think Moss does either.

One solution is to send your dizzy out to be rebuilt.  Ask at your local
independant auto parts supply house, or look for "Auto Electric" in the
phone book.

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks to me like the main bushing could be
replaced with a pair of standard bushings from MMC or similar.

Randall