OD rebuild advice requested

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD rebuild advice requested
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:00:22 -0400
I have an A-Type O/D transmission that needs adjustment in the O/D. I rebuilt
the transmission, but not the O/D as I thought it was OK. It's not. Very poorly
engages and slips hopelessly. So either stuffed with bits of old bearings (what
provoked the transmission rebuild), horribly misadjusted, clutch is shot, or a
combination of all three. I definitely need a new solenoid bracket in any event.

I'm banking on whatever is wrong will require the most expensive solution. It
seems likely that the sliding member is original so probably well worn.
Considering the effort to work on this thing, I might as well get it done right
the first time.

In terms of speed, should I:

A - Take it off the car and ship it away for re-build (quantum etc.)
B - Order an exchange unit from Overdrive services in the UK (285 pounds +
shipping+sales tax)

When ordering an exchange unit, can one get the new and then return the old, or
are you stuck putting the car on stilts and waiting? The car is still on bricks
waiting for family to drag my newly powder-coated and straightened rims back
from Boston, so now is either the time to do it, or push off to later. Just
completely fed up driving highway without the overdrive.

Advice solicited.

Mark
92 TR6