Restoration Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Restoration Question
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:09:50 -0400
Hi List,
I am looking for some kind of protective coating to apply to all the nuts,
bolts, and washers I have been cleaning up with a wire wheel that go into my
TR4A motor. I met a guy at a  recent car show here with a Mustang
convertible that had used a product called Bolt Coat. It looked very nice
and he said he just wire wheeled the hardware and dipped it into the can for
a minute and let it dry. The problem is,, I can't find the stuff!
I know there are kits that Caswell sells to electoplate parts but by the
time I would get that all set up I would have spent $300.00. I would rather
use that money for parts if at all possible.
Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions on a coating for bare steel that
would appear clear and prevent rust?

One other bolt related question. I have heard that since my connecting rod
cap bolts didn't have the locking tabs that I should definately replace all
those bolts as they stretch when torqued and can therefore only be used
once. Is it possible to just buy locking tabs and use the same bolts or is
that a no-no.

Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A ( Still waiting for my block and head)
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a