RE: Straighten Wheels

To: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>,
Subject: RE: Straighten Wheels
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:02:41 -0400
Hi John:

I just sent my TR6 rims to www.rimandwheelworks.com for straightening and
powder coating. I sent 4 wobbly rusty rims off and have just recieved and
installed 3 very nice shiny straight rims. The look and straightness is
enormously improved. The tire shop span them for me and they were very
straight, compared to the battered egg-shaped things I sent along.

So far almost all the highway vibration I have been experiencing is gone. Once
I install the fourth rim (needed to order replacement tire) then I feel it will
be even smoother.

I had my wheels sandblasted, trued and then powdercoated a gold colour on the
outside. They had to send the rims out for PC and it was a bit of a battle to
get them to accept it could be done. However, they seem to have found a decent
shop.

The total cost for me was $175/wheel. That is $100 for truing and $75 for
powder coat. The shop really wanted to paint the rims, but I forced them to
send them out. I'm very glad I did. However, I cannot report whether the paint
would have been part of the $100 original price.

I realise that I could have bought alloys for practically the same price, but I
really like the original look. So, for me the expense of $700 USD + shipping
has been worth it, but I'm very glad it wasn't worse.

Of couse with a Triumph, removing one problem just shows the others. Now I can
feel that my rear shocks are soft and I think the other rear hub is suspect.
It's going to be a long road...

Cheers,

Mark
72 TR6