RE: 031-651 Torque Reaction Arm

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 031-651 Torque Reaction Arm
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:06:56 -0700
> Moss states that PN 031-651 Torque Reaction Arms were only used
> on the TR4.
> Is that correct? If so, any ideas on what was improved or changed on the
> TR4A to eliminate the arm?

The engine mounts were changed, which would be my first guess.

I believe there was also a period during TR4 development/production where
they were worried about various resonances in the car.  I know I've seen
reference to the "dumbbell" on the OD and the strap between the shift cover
and transmission being added for this reason.  It may be that the "torque
reaction" arm was added for a similar reason, then later deleted when it
failed to serve it's purpose (or as a cost reduction).  I'm pretty sure the
same thing happened to the "dumbbell" since very few cars seem to have them.

In spite of the Moss catalog, I've had several TR4 engines that have no
signs of ever having had the torque reaction arm fitted.  Doesn't prove
anything of course, but seems to indicate it was not fitted even to all
TR4s.

Randall