RE: torque reaction arm

To: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: torque reaction arm
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:10:36 -0700
>   I must be missing something.  In my understanding of torque, it
> is a rotation in the opposite direction to the crankshaft
> rotation (which would explain someone's claim to banging the air
> cleaners against the inner fenders).  But looking at the torque
> reaction arm which is still installed on the engine I recently
> pulled from the wife's TR4, this torque arm is mounted below the
> crankshaft centerline, which looks to me like a torque reaction
> would pull the rubber buffer away from the frame.  Am I looking
> at this all wrong, or did Triumph maybe discontinue these when
> they realized that they only worked when you back out of the throttle?

The engine doesn't necessarily roll around the crankshaft.  It has a roll
center, just like the suspension does.

But, looking from the front towards the rear (opposite the normal direction,
for clarity I hope), the crankshaft rotates clockwise meaning torque
reaction should move the engine block counterclockwise.  I believe that
would cause the tip of the arm to move mostly downward and to the right,
where it will hit the frame.

BTW when I mentioned my air filters hitting the inner fender, I neglected to
mention that I use TR4A paper element filters on my TR3/A engine.  The metal
TR3/A filters mount higher on the carbs, and almost certainly would not hit.
They also won't stop anything smaller than a boulder, and since I live
between the beach and the desert, I feel like I need a little bit better
filtration than the factory supplied.

Randall