Re: Silver spray paint (Isn't "Argent Silver" too light?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, mrv8q@netscape.net
Subject: Re: Silver spray paint (Isn't "Argent Silver" too light?)
From: BigOldWumper@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:47:24 EDT
I don't know if you are repainting wire wheels or steel disc wheels, but I've
tried the silver wire wheel paint from Moss (probably just re-labeled Krylon,
and similar to other "argent silver" offerings) and realized it was much
lighter than the original paint color on my wire wheels. The original color
seems
to be a lot darker; closer to gray than to silver. Even if you look in the old
catalogs and brochures, you'll see that the color of the wire wheels is quite
dark--and in reality much more attractive than the light silver paint that it
seems they are most often repainted in (and I think the aftermarket wire
wheels are usually painted in lighter colors too). When I was painting my
master
cylinder with a "cast iron grey" spray paint (Plasti-Kote brand I believe), I
realized that this color most closely resembled the original factory wheel
color (at least for the wire wheels, I am not sure for the disc wheels).

Has anyone else noticed that the factory paint color for wire wheels seems to
be much darker than what they are commonly being repainted with today? If you
don't believe me, take out an old TR3 or TR4 sales brochure (color, of
course, and be sure it isn't faded) and take a look at the color of the wire
wheels.
It is a much deeper gray than I ever see on cars with new or repainted wire
wheels, and again, I think it looks much nicer.