TR4 Axle Oil Seal

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Axle Oil Seal
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:17:36 -0700
I have diff oil leaking out of the rear hub on one side.  I'm thinking
that replacing the (axle shaft) oil seal may be all that is needed (as
opposed to replacing the grease/oil seal that is inside the hub).  I am
referring to the item labeled (7) in this diagram:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=36462

Having never been this way before -- it appears from the Haynes manual
that if all I am doing is that one seal then I *merely* undo the lock
tabs and 6 screws that hold the hub housing and withdraw the axle shaft.

Is a typical seal puller going to get this guy out?  Any particular
technique needed to withdraw the axle, pull the seal and replace all?

It would seem that the back plate, handbrake connection & hydraulic
connection could be left undisturbed while doing this.  Is that so?

Any & all advice welcome.

Geo Hahn