RE: TR4 Axle Oil Seal

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Axle Oil Seal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:30:40 -0700
> Having never been this way before -- it appears from the Haynes manual
> that if all I am doing is that one seal then I *merely* undo the lock
> tabs and 6 screws that hold the hub housing and withdraw the axle shaft.

After removing the road wheel, spline adapter if present, and brake drum.
You might want to check the endplay before you pull the hub & shaft, since
now is the time to adjust it if needed.

> Is a typical seal puller going to get this guy out?

It's been a long time, but ISTR I was able to use a slide-hammer type puller
on it successfully.  It's back inside the tube a bit, so the usual T-handle
thing won't work very well.

>  Any particular
> technique needed to withdraw the axle, pull the seal and replace all?

About the only hard part is not damaging the seal as you put the shaft back
through it.  Don't lose the shims, they're important.

> It would seem that the back plate, handbrake connection & hydraulic
> connection could be left undisturbed while doing this.  Is that so?

When you remove the bolts for the hub, the backplate will basically be
hanging on the hydraulic line, not a good idea.  I'd suggest supporting it,
and having a bolt & nut handy to temporarily fasten it to the axle housing.
But none of it has to come off.

Randall