RE: Purolator oil filter questions tr3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Purolator oil filter questions tr3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:31:27 -0700
> If you take IT off prior to removing the filter ASSEMBLY you just need a $
> 0.80 (or so) gasket to replace the ASSEMBLY!!!

Might be worth noting, that on TRactor motor Triumphs, there are also two copper
washers involved.  They don't have to be replaced every time, but if you're
rowing that head on and off twice a year, they'll need to be changed eventually.
Also, they are different, so pay attention to which is which.

> replace the felt washers (even tho
> the Moss Cat.

I don't remember any felt washers, Ed, can you supply a reference or tell us
where they go ?

> I do it on EVERY motor that it can be done to.  PERIOD!!!

Oddly enough, I was talking about this to a friend just today.  There's a
difference between what a shop will do and what a DIY will do ... a shop
absolutely HATES having cars come back (and are spending someone else's money)
so they place a big emphasis on doing it right the first time, no matter the
cost.  Many shops won't even install rebuilt parts for that reason.  But for a
DIY with less than infinite money, it sometimes makes more sense not to take
every possible precaution.  After all, if it leaks or still doesn't work right,
you just take it apart and do it again.  It's not nearly as big a problem as for
a professional shop that loses time and money if it has to be done again.

Randall