RE: TR6 cooling questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 cooling questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:10:59 -0700
> I'm nearing the end of the TR6 re-build and have obtained an alloy radiator
> at a sensible price ... a couple of questions though:
> 1. Should I paint the radiator core with black radiator paint?

I wouldn't.  The paint can only interfere with heat transfer and isn't needed
for corrosion protection.  Ever see an A/C radiator with paint ?

> 2. I'm planning to keep my electric fan, but am considering removing the
> engine driven fan.  Pros / cons of this?

Pros :

Less drag on engine means slightly better performance and fuel mileage, maybe
even less heat.

Less noise.

Less chance of a fan blade going into the radiator after a rock or whatever
finds it's way into the fan.  (I've lost 2 Triumph rads this way)

With the mechanical fan out of the way, the electric can be mounted as a puller,
where IMO it will present less resistance to airflow at speed.

Cons :

Electric fan must move enough air for engine, rather than just being a 'helper'.

No backup if electric fails.

HTH
Randall