Re: Electrical Questions.

To: etieseler@sbcglobal.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical Questions.
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:57:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/2005 1:19:03 PM Central Standard Time,
etieseler@sbcglobal.net writes:
> The light came on recently.  I did repolarize the
> generator over a year ago and it has been working
> solid until about a month ago.  I will try to
> re-polarize the generator again to see if that makes a
> difference.  Do you have any advice about testing the
> generator to see if it is charging?  I do have a
> voltmeter. Also, about what speed does the generator
> need to spin before it "excites"?

Repolarizing is a good idea since it is easy and costs nothing.

Also check all you connections.  If you have the push-on type connectors
(Quick Connects) pull each off and push back on in turn.  This will wipe the
connections clean.  If you pull the cover off of the regulator (control box)
you
will see a couple of coils with contacts on top.  One set will be closed.  This
feeds generator power to the field.  Clean these contacts by passing a piece
of paper between them.  The spring pressure will by sufficient.

The other set, the open set connect the generator output to the system (and
the battery).  Take car not to close these with the engine off.  They will
clamp closed and the current could damage the wiring or generator armature.  If
they do close simply start the engine and then shut it off.  They should open
normally.  If you want to clean these I suggest disconnecting the battery first.

I don't know for certain where a generator will bootstrap itself into
operation.  In theory it should start at just about any speed but I would think
that
a fast idle would suffice.  The alternator in my TR6 kicks in at 1200 RPM.  But
 it has to build up enough to overcome two diodes.

Dave