Re: TR4 Master cylinder thread

To: "V8TR4" <v8tr4@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Master cylinder thread
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:38:32 -0400
On Saturday 13 August 2005 06:47 am, V8TR4 wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was hoping someone knew the thread of the brakeline fitting on an all
> stock 64 TR4 CT24k.
>
> I have a stuck piston in the master cylinder of my TR4. I want to hook up
> my compressor to it to try and blow it free. I may have already ruined it
> though. I was tapping it against my anvil and wound up breaking the bottom
> of the body. Very disappointing to say the least. I think it can be saved
> with some sanding to remove any fractures. If someone has a MC they are
> willing to sell I would be interested.
>
> I notice that the local Kragen auto supply has brake rebuild kits listed
> for TR's on thier computers and on the web as thru www.partsamerica.com.
> The brand is Beck/Arnley. Is this a good brand? Should I order instead from
> one of the TR specialty suppliers?
>
> Thanks
> Oliver

Oliver,

About a mohth ago I had the same problem with my TR4 calipers. I tried to
"blow" air via the brake line input but too much air leaked out to get the
piston to pop out. The thread size is 5/16 24 NF i believe.

Anyway I thought since it is a std thread, maybe if I removed the tip of the
air gun to see it the threads on the air gun were the same as the caliper and
they were, so I screwed in the airgun to the caliper and applied 120 lbs of
pressure and the pistons popped out with a loud and forcefull pop. I had
wrapped the pistons in a rag to prevent any damage and parts flying out at
high speeds.

Before I tried this I had soaked the areas around the pistons in used brake
fluif for over 2 weeks just to loosen things up.

Good Luck.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4