Re: TR4 Master cylinder thread

To: "V8TR4" <v8tr4@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Master cylinder thread
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:49:25 -0400
On Saturday 13 August 2005 07:38 am, Bob Labuz wrote:
> On Saturday 13 August 2005 06:47 am, V8TR4 wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I was hoping someone knew the thread of the brakeline fitting on an all
> > stock 64 TR4 CT24k.
> >
> > I have a stuck piston in the master cylinder of my TR4. I want to hook up
> > my compressor to it to try and blow it free. I may have already ruined it
> > though. I was tapping it against my anvil and wound up breaking the
> > bottom of the body. Very disappointing to say the least. I think it can
> > be saved with some sanding to remove any fractures. If someone has a MC
> > they are willing to sell I would be interested.
> >
> > I notice that the local Kragen auto supply has brake rebuild kits listed
> > for TR's on thier computers and on the web as thru www.partsamerica.com.
> > The brand is Beck/Arnley. Is this a good brand? Should I order instead
> > from one of the TR specialty suppliers?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Oliver
>
> Oliver,
>
> About a mohth ago I had the same problem with my TR4 calipers. I tried to
> "blow" air via the brake line input but too much air leaked out to get the
> piston to pop out. The thread size is 5/16 24 NF i believe.
>
> Anyway I thought since it is a std thread, maybe if I removed the tip of
> the air gun to see it the threads on the air gun were the same as the
> caliper and they were, so I screwed in the airgun to the caliper and
> applied 120 lbs of pressure and the pistons popped out with a loud and
> forcefull pop. I had wrapped the pistons in a rag to prevent any damage and
> parts flying out at high speeds.
>
> Before I tried this I had soaked the areas around the pistons in used brake
> fluif for over 2 weeks just to loosen things up.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> Bob Labuz
>
> 1958 TR3A
> 1963 TR4
> 1974 T140V
> 1998 T-Bird T-3

I just read my reply and I guess it is early in the morning for clear thought.

It is a stuck master cyl not a caliper!

Oh well, at least I got the thread size correct, just went in the garage and
measured to be sure.

I guess the best way is to soak in brake fluif for awhile and apply heat, then
more fluif. Mine came out without the heat, but I did have to tap the cyls
against the workshop table top a few times to get the piston to move. The
more stuck, the more forcefull tapping may be required. Do insure all
corrosion is removed from the cly wall with fine steel wool.

I never tried air with the master cyls because I never needed it but it may
work, just be sure to wrap the outlet so the piston doesnt fly out at the
speed of light!

Again good luck and sorry for the previous post.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4
1974 T140V