TR4 86mm head on 83mm pistons?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 86mm head on 83mm pistons?
From: CFisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:44:25 -0500
Hi list.

Last night I pulled the head on my 1959 TR3A and found that I have 83mm
bores in the block with the TR4 style head meant for 86mm pistons (described
from TeriAnns site at the bottom of this page).

This raises several practicle questions I hope someone knows the answer to.

1) What gasket do I buy? 83mm or 86mm? I'm assuming you go with the 86mm to
match the head?

The copper gasket currently on the block seems to cover about half the area
of some of the passage holes, they don't line up quite right.

2) Does this combination lower the compression ratio below the normal 8.5:1?

3)Anything else I need to be aware of that might be a problem, am
overlooking?

Thanks for any input,
Curt

"This head style was used on late TR3A & B cars that came from the factory
with with 86mm pistons. It is recognizable by the chamfer on the side of the
combustion chamber and by the raised flat surface between the number 1 and
number 2 intake ports. There may or may not be a serial number stamped on
this surface. There is no correlation between head numbers and engine
numbers.

Early heads still had the intake ports ball milled to 1-5/8ths dia for the
first 1/4 inch to assure that the production intake manifold ports lined up
with the production head intake ports."

WWW.essex1.com/people/fishnet/ Spritely Vintage Racing Homepage.
"Racing is life, everything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.
"Compared to Road Racing, heroin addiction is like a vague longing for
something salty"