RE: TR3 Headlight Bezel

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Headlight Bezel
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 21:41:34 -0700
> I think I figured out how to remove the headlight bezel (put a large
> screwdriver into the slot to the right of the dimple on top of the
> bezel and twist).

As Geo said, there are at least 4 different headlight rings fitted to TR2-3B, so
it would be nice to know which one you have.  However it seems a safe assumption
that you have one of the later snap-on styles.  Normally it takes a special tool
to remove them, that slides in from the bottom and hooks the edge of the ring.
My tool is made from an old hacksaw blade that I heated with a propane torch,
bent and then ground the teeth off.  It's got a few turns of tape on it too, to
prevent paint scratches.

>  I tightened the screws on the headlight ring and
> now the vibration is gone.

Hopefully they weren't the adjustment screws !

>  My problem is that now I can't figure out
> how to replace the bezel without pushing so hard I'm afraid I'll
> break something.

Again as Geo said, the ring should have a hook arrangement at the top, and a tab
at the bottom that slides into a spring clip on the bucket.  On my rings, the
tab will bend before it presses into the clip, so I have to insert something
between the trim ring and headlight, to push the tab into the clip.  A thin
screwdriver will work, but I use the other end of the hacksaw blade.

Randall