RE: Sticky Horn button

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sticky Horn button
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 18:18:51 -0700
>   is there an easy way to access the innards of the horn button?  Mine
> sticks, and I have to tap it a few times to get is to stop honking.  Very
> embarrassing.

It's unfortunately not easy, Bill.  You'll need to loosen the three grub
screws through the steering wheel hub (about 1/2 way, don't need to remove
them entirely), then pull some slack down to the wire harness in front of
the steering box.  Probably have to disconnect the wires from the main
harness (at the bullet connectors near the horn) to get enough slack  and
pull the sub-harness out of the tab on the inner fender in front of the
horn.  Then you can pull the control head away from the steering wheel
enough to get to the 3 screws on the back that hold the outer ring in place.
It should be possible to leave the stator tube in place and not loosen the
nut (so you won't lose any oil).

The horn button and it's spring will fall off with the outer ring.  As I
recall the little plastic piece that locates the spring will remain trapped
by the horn contacts, but I could be wrong on that point.

Reassembly is straightforward, but be sure to center the steering wheel and
the canceling mechanism before you slide the control head back into place,
then tighten the grub screws before you turn the wheel again.

Randall