RE: Clutch still slipping...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch still slipping...
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 18:32:07 -0700
> I noticed a few days ago that the clutch on my TR4 was slipping a little
> again.  This only happens when everything is good an hot (after a long
> highway run).  When I first noticed the problem a month or so ago, I
> adjusted the slave cylinder pushrod piece (shortened it) and I
> thought that
> had solved the problem.  Well, I tried shorting it a little more,
> but when I
> did, there is no longer enough travel in the clutch, and shifting is
> difficult.

The important thing here is that there is some free play in the slave
linkage.  You should be able to pull the lever away from the slave cylinder
by hand (against the return spring) and note that the push rod becomes
slightly loose.

> I noticed this morning that when I have everything disconnected,
> there is at
> least 1/4" (maybe more) play in the clutch pivot arm/shaft assembly.  Is
> this normal?

Not sure I understand.  If you're saying you've got 1/4" of play in one of
the pivots then no, that's not normal at all.  Should be more like a few
thousandths.

>  When the clutch pedal is pressed and released, the small
> return spring on the pushrod will not return the pivot arm back
> to the full
> engaged stop side of the 1/4" play (if that makes sense at all).

Are you talking about the slave or the master ?

> It doesn't
> take much effort to push it on back though, and I can't imagine that this
> would cause the clutch to be partially disengaged (and slip).

I'm thinking that perhaps you have so much lost motion in the linkage, that
properly adjusting the slave pushrod results in not enough movement at the
throw-out bearing.  Probably not as likely as there being something wrong
inside the bellhousing (like a broken taper pin), but worth looking into IMO
as it would be a whole lot easier to fix.

> The clutch
> has a little over 5,000 miles on it.

Should be nothing in the life of an early TR clutch.

Randall