OT: OBD-II & bad gas

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: OT: OBD-II & bad gas
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <70TR6@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:37:15 -0400
I ran into an issue while recently in Mississippi and thought some of you
might benefit from what we found out.  Whoever said progress is a good thing
must not be familiar with how OBD-II operates on a Ford truck.  A neighbor
has a brand new Lincoln pickup that came down with us to the storm ravaged
area.  I was driving the truck several days later on the coast, and noticed
a miss.  No problem, it was probably just some bad gas right?  We had taken
down several hundred gallons with us due to fuel shortages so this seemed
very likely.

This continued for another day with no noticeable ill effects until we left
to return to Atlanta.  The truck developed a major vibration which was
calmed noticeably by locking out overdrive.  However, things began to
deteriorate to the point to where I was worried that the tranny was going to
fail.  Now I appeared to have two issues: a bad transmission and a miss.
Two hours later in Hattiesburg, MS the diagnosis came back that our only
issue was we did indeed have water in our fuel, and not very much at that.
This is where OBD-II comes in.

OBD-II will sense an issue and then it, at least on Fords, will shut down
that cylinder.  I'm not sure how many cylinders I got down to, but the cure
is simple.

1)  The system will reset if you cut the vehicle off.

2)  If you are in a disaster area and there is no more fuel treatment as we
were, then a bottle of rubbing alcohol (8 oz.) will suffice nicely.

Hope this helps,

R. Ashford Little II

'70 TR6 <http://www.ralittle2.com/>
CC54994