RE: trunnion oiler

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: trunnion oiler
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:22:54 -0700
> I bought one on Ebay that looks just like the one pictured, although from a
> different vendor. Could not develop enough pressure to overcome the spring
> in the zerk fitting. Seller would answer my emails either. It make a nice
> decoration on my workbench.

The pressure can comes from Harbor Freight, about $4 unless it's on sale.
Somewhere there's a "tech tip" on how to connect the grease gun hose to it, to
build the unit being sold on eBay.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36629

However, for less than the auction price, you can buy a commercially-made unit
that will definitely develop enough pressure.  It's sold by Mercury Marine
dealers, and is designed to grease outboard motors, through zerks, using grease
in a screw-on waterproof tube.  They also sell gear oil in the same tube, that
will screw right on to the grease gun.  The gear oil is even water resistant and
copper-compatible, both of which would be useful qualities in trunnions.  I paid
about $15 for the grease gun, and $5 for the tube of gear oil.

YMMV of course.

Randall