Re: Wheel Studs

To: elliottr@rmi.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel Studs
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:59:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/11/05 7:15:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, elliottr@rmi.net
writes:

<<  The stud keeps spinning even though it is far enough in that it should
grab and not turn anymore.  Can I just tack weld it in place?  >>

I've had a few small blobs TIG welded to the inside of the hole. ( a rear
cast steel hub on a Porsche 914 redrilled to another bolt pattern.)

On the Buick oval track car the front hubs/rotors are one piece and made of
something closer to cast iron so welding isn't a option.  Ended up using a .005
stainless steel shim wrapped around the stud then pressed it in.  Hasn't come
loose in two years of tire changes.  Rotors were converted from 7 / 16 studs
to 1 / 2 but the holes were drilled a bit too big.

Harold